After many batches of making homebrewed beer, I wanted to see if I could put the spent grains to use and make some tasty (and healthy) treats for our maltipoo puppy Hudson. I did a lot of research and found some very helpful sites that showed how I could do this. The sites that I used to accomplish this are below:
My version’s ingredients:
- 4 cups spent grain
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 or 2 bananas cut into small pieces
- 1 or 2 carrots shredded finely
My recipe steps:
- mix all the ingredients together in a YUGE bowl
- spread the mixture onto one or more baking pans or cookie sheets, about 1/2″ thick
- cut into shapes up front instead of waiting, as i found they are difficult to cut otherwise
- bake in the oven for 30 minutes @
- cut the sheets into rectangles, or using a fun shaped cookie cutter
- bake in the oven some more, for 2 hours or so @ 225F
- bake until they are completely dried out. break one open to ensure the middle is not gooey, otherwise they may become moldy (gross!)
- let the finished treats cool down, then spoil your puppy! and pack some up for other people’s puppies too!
Here is a photo journey of making a batch…
Here are all the ingredients together.
First, the 4 cups of the spent grains from the batch of the belgian wit.
Then the cup of organic fresh peanut butter from Westerly Market.
Then 2 cups of whole wheat flour.
Two bananas diced finely, with Hudson watching over as “director of quality control”
Two carrots shredded finely…
All of the ingredients in the bowl…
Use one or two hands, mash them all together very thoroughly to ensure an even distribution of everything, and no dry flour spots…
Using a spatula, I evenly spread the mixture into a cookie sheet, pretty shallow perhaps less than 1/2 inch in thickness…
Here it is, ready to hit the oven…
After the first 30 minutes, take it out and then cut out the shapes.
Then after the additional 1.5-2 hours, they are done. Then cut them out again, and carefully take out the goodies…
And the finished product, ready for Hudson to eat!